Ed's interviews on Romeo & Juliet

« Older   Newer »
chair_F.
view post Posted on 4/10/2013, 16:02

CITAZIONE
Ed Westwick on Life After Gossip Girl and Taking on Tybalt in Romeo & Juliet

POPSUGAR: Tybalt has always seemed to me to be maybe the most interesting character in Romeo and Juliet. What attracted you to this specific role?
Ed Westwick: Well, first of all, we share something there, because I agree. I was always intrigued with the character ever since I was young, and when I heard the project was coming around, I thought, I have to do this. I have to give it my governance. So that was it. I wanted to go on my own journey with the character but try to be something different.

PS: There’s swordfighting required for this part, of course, so that had to have been a fun element to pursue. Did you have any related experience beforehand?
EW: No, I didn’t. We worked with [an expert] in Italy — he was brilliant — and that sort of scene choreography, it was so much fun. I really enjoyed watching it in the film. I think it came off really well.

PS: What has life after Gossip Girl given you in terms of freedom to pursue different things in your life and your career? A TV-show schedule is so grueling.
EW: Yeah, I mean especially with the character that I played. I suppose for a lot of people, they think of me being that role, and I think one of the challenges is to show people I’m not a one-trick pony. I’m an actor, and that was one character that I designed, and what I want to do now is expand on that and be involved in different projects that I’m passionate about and that I can be inspired by and work with people who are inspiring in themselves. Just enjoy the different things that are out there, hopefully.

PS: And have you stayed in New York, or did you decide to leave once that chapter was done?
EW: I decided to leave. I felt like I experienced New York in a very specific way, and I was ready for a fresh break and a change elsewhere.

PS: Julian Fellowes told me he wanted to make this version classical because other takes on this story for our generation all seemed to take place in a “skating rink or underground garage.” I assume in some ways he was referring to the Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio film; do you have memories of seeing that at a young age?
EW: Of course. It’s an iconic version, that one, you know? Very, very unique. The one thing I take from it is The Cardigans's song “Lovefool” — that was a great touch. I love that version, and of course our version goes way back to the traditional version. They’re two very different things, but the important thing to remember here, and the important thing, I feel, is that every generation deserves to hear this story. I think we’re delivering one that everyone can enjoy.

PS: Any chance now we may see you on Downton in the future, having worked with Julian?
EW: [Laughs] I don’t think so. I have a lot of friends who are huge fans of it, and I think Julian’s done a wonderful job with that, and I look forward to hearing more about it along the line.

PS: In this film, many of the actors are very young, as the characters in the original play were. Hailee is so accomplished for her age — just 16 years old. What impressed you about her take on Juliet?
EW: Absolutely. I mean, Hailee’s an amazing talent and, I think first of all, her command of the English accent was superb, and also for her to really put the essence of Juliet and deal with what is such beautiful and difficult language was remarkable. She’s an incredible young lady and it was an honor to be working with her.

PS: Can you tell me about some of the other movies that you have coming up, like Kitchen Sink?
EW: It’s a wonderfully ridiculous comedy. It stars Nicholas Braun, Mackenzie Davis, and Vanessa Hudgens. It’s so different from anything I’ve done before and will be a really great one next Halloween for everyone to go and enjoy.

PS: That sounds like it will be an interesting role for you, being very comedic.
EW: My character, he’s not as comedic as some of the other characters, but I like to think I put a comedic twist on it and poked fun at the genre, so to speak, which the entire story does. It’s different for me, and I just wrapped yesterday on the film, so I’m very, very excited.

PS: What do you hope young people who see Romeo & Juliet will take away from it? It’s a story that resonates and has for hundreds and hundreds of years.
EW: What I want them to take from it is an understanding that they’ve experienced one of the greatest stories ever, by one of the, or THE, single greatest playwright of all time. It’s a story, which as you said, resonates, and I think everyone has to go through their own unique experience with the film. I’m proud of what we did.

PS: On a sillier note, when I spoke with Douglas Booth [who plays Romeo], he said the costumes for this film were a bit constricting. He mentioned that there were several times during some of the more action-heavy scenes, he had to lay down on set and have the crotch of his pants resewn. Did you run into any similar wardrobing issues?
EW: I didn’t have to have the crotch of my pants resewn, but no, I didn’t really go through too many costume changes, you know? It felt like it was a great costume to wear because it allowed you to fully embrace the character and the atmosphere of the story.

PS: And did you actually grow your hair out for the role?
EW: No — that was a wig!

popsugar

chair_F.
view post Posted on 7/10/2013, 22:13

In questa parla anche del papà ç__ç

CITAZIONE
EXCLUSIVE: Ed Westwick Talks ‘Romeo & Juliet,’ Love and ‘Gossip Girl’

Was there one particular scene you were intimidated to take on?
There was one that was very intimidating I don’t think I probably got it right. They probably edited it so it looks alright. It was the dancing scene, I can’t remember the name of the exact dance. That was intimidating to me because during the period when the story’s set there was very traditional dances and obviously they played a big part at banquets, that was entertainment for the guests. It was very different from anyway people usually dance these days. But it was interesting and I hope that it’s okay.

Aside from Romeo & Juliet, what other works of Shakespeare do you think should be required for everyone to learn?
That’s a bloody good question. I think with Shakespeare a lot of his work was a lot about the commentary of the time and the politics as well. Richard III was especially interesting because it touched on many things. I love Hamlet I think Hamlet’s a wonderful story and then obviously Macbeth. This is one of these questions where you can never really pick one play. The man has such an amazing body of work. I might be wrong, but what I heard was that they were cutting Romeo and Juliet from the curriculum in England, which I thought was quite tragic. I’m hoping that maybe this film can bring it back, we need to educate the children about the greatest romance and tragedy of all time.

How do you think the love at first sight feeling has been altered thanks to modern technology?
Well if you look at all of the online dating match up things, that’s a huge thing. Personally, I properly believe in love at first sight in this day and age. Especially in a town like L.A. where there are so many, I hate to use the word distraction or temptations, but there are a lot of beautiful people running around this town. So if somebody falls in love at first sight here it’s genuine, I mean it’s a really special thing. Yeah I mean it has changed the whole concept of love and falling in love has change but however anybody finds someone and it’s real it doesn’t matter as long as it happens.

Tell me about what it was like working with Hailee and Douglas? Describe their chemistry.
I think they were both great. Honestly, I didn’t really have any scenes with the both of them. The development of their relationship happens in secret but I felt like they were both very committed and very very talented. I think on screen the chemistry shows and I’m very proud of the work they did.

How did you prepare for this role? Was there training involved? What was that process like?
We worked with these guys called the Monsters of Arms who are absolutely brilliant. I think they worked on Gladiator actually. They were geniuses and they really helped us to create the best, and I think original, they really wanted to do something original with the fight sequences. And we worked at it a lot and it was actually one of the most enjoyable things, it’s something I’ve never really done. It was something new, something exhilarating and yeah, exciting, enjoyable.

Was there anything you held onto, maybe wardrobe-wise that you wanted to keep?
No I mean I would’ve loved to have kept some of the costume. The doublets, which were the fashion of the time. But no we didn’t get to keep anything, which was quite tragic.

Who is a more menacing character Tybalt or Chuck Bass?
Tybalt, completely. I feel like they are very, very, very different. At the end of the day Tybalt, wields a sword and I don’t think Chuck Bass ever pulled out a sword. He was quite sharp and dangerous with his tongue. They’re very different characters, and that was another thing for me which was great because playing the same role for six years it was very important for me to go onto to something else and experience a different character and a different journey and work with different people. I felt very good at the end of that piece of work.

What do you think is the craziest thing you’ve ever done for love?
That’s a difficult question because it’s very broad concept. I mean you can talk about things you do when you have a significant other or something like that. But what I believe right now actually focuses around something else. I spent the summer actually back in England because my father died and that was probably the most significant thing of love was to be there with my family and share that love and feel that love together. When it comes to a woman or whatever I don’t really know.

Aside from Romeo & Juliet, what’s your favorite love story?
I’m huge huge fan of the movies Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, and Before Midnight. I think they are absolutely brilliant and you know just fantastic pieces of cinema. So currently those movies are really something to me. I also adore Notting Hill.

teen

•Sunshine S.
view post Posted on 8/10/2013, 09:12

Non nego che mi sia scesa una lacrima quando ho letto del padre. L'ho trovato molto tenero e delicato <3 L'amore per la propria famiglia è il legame più profondo e allo stesso tempo pazzo, che ti porta a fare cose che non avresti mai immaginato di poter fare.

chair_F.
view post Posted on 8/10/2013, 15:26

CITAZIONE
This Romeo And Juliet Star Has Other Plans

We all remember Ed Westwick's portrayal of bad boy Chuck Bass. Now the sexy Brit is on the big screen, playing Romeo's rival Tybalt in the latest adaptation of Romeo and Juliet. We sat down to with Ed to see if he plans to return to TV any time soon.

Actor Ed Westwick seems like the perfect choice for the role of Tybalt, Juliet's cousin and family drama instigator. But we wanted to know if he would have prefered to play Romeo. His answer? "Honestly, no."

It's surprising that he'd choose the fighter over the lover, but Westwick told us, "I've always admired Tybalt. To give you some background, I first came across this project around three years ago and I said to my representation, I have to play this part! Please help me get this part. And, fortunately, I had the opportunity."

We asked him about his favorite part of making the film. "Absolutely everything," said Westwick. "To deal with a piece of work that was adapted by Julian Fellowes (Downton Abbey), we all know he's an absolute genius."

Westwick said he also really enjoyed filming in Italy, "To be in the palazzos and be surrounded by pieces of history and working with a cast and crew who were lovely — it was inspiring." Wow, it does sound wonderful.

While one of the movie's themes deals with forbidden love, this Filthy Youth rocker says he doesn't take a lot of risks when it comes to matters of the heart.

"Unfortunately," said Westwick, "I safeguard myself a bit more than Romeo and Juliet. They fall head over heels at first sight, so I haven't experienced anything like that, I'm afraid."

Because many of us remember the Baz Luhrmann version of R&J, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes, we asked him what he thought will make this new version of the classic romantic-tragedy exciting for audiences. Westwick made it clear that this script doesn't stick to Shakespeare's often dense iambic pentameter. The dialogue has been freshened up to make it easier to understand.

"It's an adaptation that will, I think, open up the language and the story while conveying the true essence of the original work," said Westwick. "Through doing the adaptation, we achieve something that really makes it attractive to every audience. It makes it a little more accessible."

On working with Homeland's Damian Lewis, Westwick told us that during the first bonding session with the cast, they all went out for dinner and drinks, "And I couldn't help myself but tell him how much of a fan I am of Homeland. He's amazing and inspiring. For me, he steals the show when he's in the bedroom telling Juliet she will marry Paris. Damian's brilliant in that."

We told Westwick how much we missed seeing him on TV every week and we asked if he'd ever return to the small screen. "I never say no," he told us. He added, "There's a lot of fantastic work coming out on television right now. And, obviously, anybody would be lucky to be involved in some of these productions, but for now, I'm enjoying trying to work on films, experiencing new characters and new environments and that's what I'd like to do right now." He did, however, admit he had a fantastic time working on Gossip Girl.

sheknows

Elisy
view post Posted on 8/10/2013, 16:11

E' stato dolcissimo quando ha parlato del padre =( <3

chair_F.
view post Posted on 9/10/2013, 08:29

CITAZIONE
Ed Westwick Compares Chuck Bass and Tybalt: "Tybalt Was Far From a Playboy"

Our excitement about the new Romeo & Juliet only grew after chatting with Ed Westwick, who plays Romeo's rival, Tybalt. Ed gave us a call to talk about the classic love story, his favorite scene and how he chooses his roles.

"I've always been very intrigued by the character [Tybalt], ever since I was a youngster," Ed told us. "I was playing somebody trapped between generations. I think during that period, the Renaissance, it was a changing time. What I wanted to bring was a character that was somewhat struggling with adapting times."

We couldn't help but think of Ed's famous role as Chuck Bass on Gossip Girl when we saw him as Tybalt, but Ed kept them very separate. "I see them as different individuals," he said. "They're from generations apart, and I think Tybalt is motivated by what he knows. As opposed to Chuck, who is a playboy. Tybalt was far from a playboy."

Romeo & Juliet is known for its tragic love story, but Ed's favorite scene was far from that. "I enjoyed the fight from the bridge between the two rival households," he told us. "There was a gust of wind when we were shooting it which blew a lot of sand off the floor and it really created this amazing image. It was completely unintentional."

Trying to find a balance between a classic and modern day can be tricky. "The language is tweaked," Ed said. "A lot of the original verse is there, but parts are changed and made more accessible to an audience who perhaps isn't familiar with the original Shakespeare language--old English." But he assures us the heart and soul of the original dialogue is still there: "It maintains the core message of the story."

Ed definitely chooses his roles wisely and strategically, but what does it really come down to? "I think if you get a script and you're 15 pages in and it's not grabbing you--I don't think that's going to be the one," he said. "It's all about the great stories, the people you're going to work with--and you want to feel that you can do something with the character."

x

chair_F.
view post Posted on 11/10/2013, 13:30

CITAZIONE
Ed Westwick on Life After Gossip Girl

Westwick talked to The Daily Beast about 2 a.m. sword fights, how Tybalt is reminiscent of his past role, and what’s next on his agenda.

How did you prepare for your role?

Well actually, just to give you a bit of background, I think I was actually the first actor on this project to read the script – that’s going back about three years now, probably a little bit longer. My representation got a hold of it and I was like ‘Let me read it, let me read it.’ They told me that Julian Fellowes had done an adapted version, and I read [the script] and was like ‘I really want to be a part of it, and as soon as it comes alive, let me know.’

I’ve always been intrigued by the role of Tybalt. Everyone obviously kind of focuses on Romeo and Juliet, but I think he’s one of the characters who you’re not given too much back story on and you don’t really know too much about. Yet he’s such a catalyst for the events that take place.

Obviously I’ve kind of grown up with the play. Being an actor and being from England, you look at Shakespeare’s work in school and also when you’re acting.

I wanted to go on my own kind of path with it, though, I didn’t watch any of the -- obviously I’ve seen other versions. For everyone from my generation it was the Baz Luhrmann version with Leonardo DiCaprio -- that’s the version that my generation grew up with in the forefront of their minds. So I didn’t really focus on any other version, I just wanted to do my own thing and have my own experience with it. It was very fun and exciting and I’m just really happy it’s finally coming out.

When I was watching the film, it kept coming to mind that Tybalt and Chuck Bass seemed to have similar personality traits.

Yeah, I think there are common themes, definitely. They both have a bit of a temper. I think [laughs] Chuck hasn’t drawn a sword on anyone, but Tybalt obviously did. But I see them fundamentally different. I feel like Tybalt is a character that’s kind of caught between generations. If you look at the context of the play and the start of the Renaissance in Italy, you kind of had a shift into how culture was changing. It was becoming more business-minded and it was a pioneering [time for] tradesmen, and you had the start of the Medici and banking and things like that. And I felt like Tybalt was kind of this person from a prior generation, perhaps a more backwards-minded person who would solve things with blows as opposed to diplomacy. That was kind of the main point I wanted to focus on -- somebody who’s kind of confused by the changing times, and somebody who also really wanted to protect and love his cousin, Juliet.

So what do you think was different from this version than all of the others?

Julian [Fellowes] brings a very unique take to the adaptation. He does change the language and has added to things and changed things, but he still keeps the essence of the story and the language. I think that’s one of the things – when you’re adapting it -- you perhaps don’t want to stray too far, you don’t want to worry about losing some of the poetry that’s in the language.

I think it works to our advantage -- it just makes it a bit more accessible to people who might be frightened by the original language or might not understand it. I mean, the play is 600 years old, so of course there’s going to be some things you don’t understand. You know, that goes for us all. You really have to study the original language no matter how experienced you are with any of the plays. You really have to analyze it. I think what it does ultimately is open it up for us all to enjoy the essence of the story.

What was your favorite part of filming the movie?

Well my favorite part -- being a boy -- was probably running around brandishing a sword and having a sword fight. That was a lot of fun and something I’ve never done before. We got to work with these fantastic masters of arms who came out of Rome and choreographed some fight sequences. We actually had a 2 a.m. rehearsal, Douglas [Booth] and I. Pretty impromptu. We’d come from dinner and I decided to kind of ambush him and jump out of our taxi when he got out and launch into one of our rehearsals. I think he was a little shocked, and it was a little unexpected at first, but I thought it’d be a good bonding exercise. And it was a bit of fun also.

Had you ever used a sword before?

No, it was a first for me and it was a total learning thing. The guys who did our fight sequences worked on Gladiator, which is one of my favorite films for a whole host of reasons, number one: all the fight sequences. So, to work with people who were that brilliant and were that patient as well were great.

And what did you think of the costumes you wore? Were you a fan of the tight leggings?

I think they were fantastic -- I think we should do a Romeo & Juliet runway show at fashion week. [Laughs] That would be quite a sight. I think the doublets, the kind-of jacket things that we were wearing, were especially cool. I wish I could have taken some of it home with me. But unfortunately I didn’t. I’ve seen stranger things, that’s for sure.

What’s up next for you?

I just finished a film here in LA called Kitchen Sink, which is again something very new to me and very different. It’s a Halloween comedy and it comes out next year. It’s kind of the tone of Superbad, but as I say, kind of pokes fun of the supernatural genres and is very fitting for Halloween next year. I got to work with Nicholas Braun, who I worked with on the film Chalet Girl. Comedy is something I love and haven’t done a lot of. For me, I’m just looking to do new things and work with great people -- so far I’ve been very fortunate.

So do you prefer film work over television?

I think both are great. The experience with film is that you get to go in and work on something for a few months, focus on that project, have that experience, and go on to the next one. I think that’s a wonderful thing, you get to totally take on something new each time. In that way, it’s always fresh, it’s always new.

daily beast

chair_F.
view post Posted on 12/10/2013, 22:40

CITAZIONE
Ed Westwick Talks About the Joys of Playing a Villain in 'Romeo and Juliet'

You played an extremely intense and violent character, how was it preparing for that role?
It was fantastic. It was immensely enjoyable. I did a fair bit of research, and I wanted to develop a character who was unique and different to what we’d seen previously played as Tybalt. It was a great ride.

What made you want to audition for the role?
Well actually I was aware of the script about three years ago, and I basically just said to my representation that I have to do this role. I want it. I campaigned for it, and luckily or fortunately enough, I was given the privilege of playing the role and being a part in the production.

What was it like to die on screen?
(Laughs). I really, really enjoyed the scene. We had some great choreography ... It was a really, really wonderful thing to do. I mean, it was quite exhausting after about 10 takes ... It’s funny, it’s not every day you have to wield a sword and be able to have that weight in your arm. I can tell you, my shoulder was pretty tired at the end of the day.

How was your experience learning the dances?
The thing is, the dances were obviously traditional to that period, so it was something we’re not really used to. You don’t really do that kind of dance when you go to the dance club or whatever. But it was interesting, it was fun. Again, it was something new and refreshing to learn and there were a couple of people along the way who looked like absolute idiots ... Hopefully we didn’t look to bad during the real thing.

How were the costumes and your long hair?
With wigs, it’s always one of those things, you’re like, "Hh my god, is it going to look good, is going to look weird?" I think people did a wonderful job. I’ve never had hair that long so it was a very different thing for me to see myself in the mirror like that. With the costumes themselves, I thought they were absolutely brilliant.

What was it like working with such a talented, young cast?
It was actually inspirational. I’m a huge fan of everybody involved. To be surrounded in such wonderful company… it made you want to come out and be on point and deliver the best work you could. I felt very strongly about what we could do. It was just a wonderful opportunity to work with amazing people.

Was there anybody before the start of production that you were really excited to work with?
Damian Lewis because I’m a huge fan of Homeland, and he’s a remarkable actor. Paul Giammati, of course, is incredible. Hailee’s [Steinfeld] a wonderful young lady who’s remarkably talented, and I’m a huge fan of her work ... Douglass [Booth], who I didn’t know too much about -- I was excited to work with somebody who was obviously there for a reason, somebody who was very talented and had a really strong performance as Romeo. I was excited to work with each person for different reasons.

Now that you’ve done Romeo and Juliet, is there any other Shakespeare play that you’d like to do down the line?
Oh, absolutely, I’m a huge fan. I mean, Hamlet is fantastic. I think to play Hamlet would be an amazing, amazing experience as an actor. I think it would be a very different journey than anything I’ve done before. I just saw a wonderful version of Macbeth that Kenneth Branagh did, and I mean that was breathtaking and inspirational as well … These plays are the best ever written, so if the day comes where I get the chance to do that, that would be amazing.

How do you think this version is different from other adaptations?
Well I think with Julian Fellowes’ adaptation, a lot of the original verse is there, but some of it is tweaked, and I think the benefit of that is that it makes it more accessible to the contemporary generation. Especially people who are not aware too much with Shakespeare’s work, who maybe don’t understand the language. I’m well included ... And then obviously there are some added scenes. At the start of the movie, it kicks off with a jousting match, which is obviously not in the original. There were some things there, and I think that is the essence of how it is different. I’m sure there are people who are not going to like that ... In my mind, I felt like we put something together that was different and unique and hopefully enjoyable to people.

Why do you think now was a good time to adapt Romeo and Juliet again?
I feel like every generation deserves to hear this story. I think it’s a story that stands the test of time, and everybody is always intrigued by the story ... I think the last one was the Luhrmann version with Leo ... So why not now bring back a traditional form of it?

If you could set Romeo and Juliet in any period of time or any location, what do you think it would look like in your dream scenario?
Wow, that is an interesting question. Wow. I don’t know, I don’t know.

I know, it’s a little tricky.
It is a little tricky because if you think of generations and decades and what might be going on during those times, maybe for example, it would be interesting in World War II. Instead of two rival families, maybe you have a German soldier falling in love with a Jewish lady somewhere in Germany. Something like that where it’s not supposed to happen, but they love each other. Maybe that would be an interesting thing. I don’t know, that’s a very, very interesting question.

Hollywood

chair_F.
view post Posted on 13/10/2013, 08:29

CITAZIONE
Ed Westwick Talks ROMEO & JULIET, His First Exposure to Shakespeare, Getting in on the Vampire Genre with KITCHEN SINK, and More

During this recent exclusive phone interview with Collider, actor Ed Westwick (“Tybalt”) talked about his first exposure to Shakespeare, why he was so drawn to this take on Romeo & Juliet, how he formed his take on Tybalt, and how much he enjoyed getting to do the fight scenes. He also talked about being a part of the vampire genre while getting to poke a little bit of fun at it for the feature film Kitchen Sink, acting through prosthetics, and what excites him about a role. Check out what he had to say after the jump.

Collider: What was your first exposure to Shakespeare, and was it something you immediately fell in love with, or did you have to acquire an appreciation for it?

ED WESTWICK: I grew up with it. As a young actor, I was always aware of the brilliant work of Shakespeare. We studied Romeo & Juliet and Macbeth in school. As a young actor, you’re always mystified and intrigued by such brilliant work. To actually have the chance to be involved in this production was a wonderful thing for me.

When the idea of this was brought to you, did you immediately get excited, or did you want to run for the hills at the thought of tackling Romeo & Juliet?

WESTWICK: I was actually aware of the project about three years ago, in fact. I read the script and I said to my representation, “I have to do this. I want to be involved.” I thought the rendition of the story was wonderful and I really felt like it had a lot of potential. I really, really wanted to get my shot at a different Tybalt, and I hope I communicated that. In [Franco] Zeffirelli’s version, Tybalt is played very differently. He’s a bit more of a dandy with a strange edge, but I didn’t want to play him as that. I wanted to play him as somewhat of an individual trapped between generations. That period in Renaissance Italy, there was a huge shift away from what preceded, into an era where business was becoming more prominent in trade, and everything like that. And I felt like Tybalt was somebody who was trapped between generations and trying to find his place. I wanted to play him like more of a soldier, and as somebody who was struggling with the shift in society. Hopefully, that came across.

In tackling something of this magnitude, did you dive into the original text again, or watch any previous versions, or did you just work with the script that you had been given?

WESTWICK: I read the script and I actually did a lot of research into the period in Renaissance Italy. That’s what I based my take on. And then, reading the script helped me build it around that, and I just went from there. I didn’t really look into anyone else’s work, who had done it before. I don’t think that’s what you should do. You’re not trying to emulate or impersonate another person’s performance. That’s just the way that I work. I want it to be my own.

Does the language of Shakespeare come easily for you, or does it take some time to get it to sound natural?

WESTWICK: Obviously, there’s the adaptation of this version. The original verse is changed, to some degree. What the beauty of that is, is that it opens it up for this generation and makes it a little bit more accessible. Hopefully, we’re able to convey the essence of the story to a generation that might not have as much exposure to it or time spent on understanding old English. Of course, I struggle to understand the meaning of a lot of the dialogue. I’ve been to see countless numbers of Shakespeare plays. Another way to make it accessible is also in the performance. I saw Jude Law do Hamlet twice, a couple of years ago, and he did it in a way where he accentuated what he was saying through body language and his tone. I think that’s another way to make it more accessible.

Because this is a project that you can’t really improvise on, at all, did you ever find yourself getting stuck on a word or two, or did you spend a lot of time preparing beforehand, so that that wouldn’t happen?

WESTWICK: Obviously, I prepare and I spend a lot of time making sure I understand what I’m doing. That would be my job. So, I was ready to go. The whole thing was so challenging because it was just so different, but I jumped in with both feet and hopefully it comes across as a piece of dedicated work that I’m actually very proud of.

Was it fun to get to do so much physical work with this and get to have some fight scenes?

WESTWICK: Absolutely! We worked with these incredible guys who taught us brilliantly and broke it down for us. It was a lot of fun, getting to learn the choreography for that. It was a hugely enjoyable part of it.

Was it fun to have the younger cast, that was around your age, and then also have some amazing older actors there?

WESTWICK: Yeah, absolutely! Films are about a collaboration of people. It’s a whole team effort. With Romeo & Juliet, we had a fantastic cast and a fantastic crew. It was our baby. It wasn’t just mine. It was our baby for everybody involved. We wanted to do something that was different and unique, and hopefully we have done that.

What was it like to get to be a part of a film like Kitchen Sink, where you get to join the vampire genre while also getting to poke a little bit of fun at it?

WESTWICK: Well, that was it for me. I didn’t think I’d ever want to play a vampire, especially after how much it’s become a part of pop culture. But, with a project like Kitchen Sink, it’s so unique and it pokes fun at a lot of the notions and ideas that we have now about these kinds of genres. I just finished the film, and it was an amazing experience. I’m looking forward to seeing how that works out. One of the most tricky bits for me was that it was the first time I was wearing prosthetics, when my character actually becomes full, angry vampire. It’s a very interesting thing, as an actor, because you’re no longer relying on subtle movements in the face or eyes. You have a mask on, which you try to move even more. So, it was interesting. It was a first for me.

Coming off of Gossip Girl, did you put a lot of thought into the types of roles you wanted to pursue, especially directly after it ended, to break that mold that people start to see you in, as a result of playing a character for a few seasons?

WESTWICK: Absolutely! It was very important to me. I’m somebody who had a great privilege, being a part of Gossip Girl and playing that character, but that’s not the be all and end all. What I want to do is other projects where I get to play with other characters, and hopefully give some performances that people will enjoy in a different way.

What is it that gets you excited about a role versus turning down a role?

WESTWICK: When you read something, you have to feel connected to it. The story is always important. And then, you want to work with people that inspire you and that you’re gonna learn from. I’m a young actor and I’m still trying to learn, every day. I’ve had a great run, so far, meeting and working with people who are just incredible. If the script is great and the character is something that appeals to me, then I’ll fight to be a part of that.

Do you have any idea what you’re going to do next?

WESTWICK: I’m looking at a few things. I do have two things where we’re just waiting to see if everything comes together, so it wouldn’t be the right time to mention them right now. But, I’m looking forward and I’m excited for the next one.

Collider

Si5
view post Posted on 13/10/2013, 08:46

Sono contenta che ha più di qualche progetto! Incrociamo le dita.

chair_F.
view post Posted on 13/10/2013, 08:53

Dei due progetti che parla alla fine, spero che uno sia Bone in the throat! Chissà l'altro *O*

chair_F.
view post Posted on 14/10/2013, 19:45

CITAZIONE
Ed Westwick Talks Romeo And Juliet, Life After Gossip Girl, And L.A. Versus NYC

Shakespeare is undoubtedly a big part of English culture. Were you a fan before you got involved in the film?
“Absolutely. I mean, how can you not be a fan of the greatest playwright of all time? We grew up with it, learning some of the plays in school. And, as an actor, you always have a relationship with that sort of work. For me to be involved in a film like this is a great joy.”

This is different from your other projects. Did you ever feel nervous taking it on? Did you look at past adaptations?
“I absolutely wanted to have my own take on the role. For me, I did a lot of research about the Renaissance in Italy. I found what I wanted to do with Tybalt is I wanted to show somebody who was trapped between generations. During that time, the culture was shifting, it was more towards business and away from potential savagery and the warring of the middle ages, and I wanted to show somebody trapped between those times. What I think is very interesting about Romeo and Juliet and the characters and the Montagues was that you don’t really see — there was no information given about Tybalt’s father. We have the Montagues, the Capulets, and Lord Capulet, who’s Tybalt’s uncle, but we never hear anything about his own family. I imagine, perhaps, he was a soldier or warrior, and he was killed, and that was the one message Tybalt had grown up with. What I wanted to demonstrate and convey, hopefully, was that he was an individual trapped and struggling to adapt to a new era within Italian culture."

Was it hard to get into that mindset, to get into that sort of character identity, or did you find you could relate to him?
“I wouldn’t say it was hard. It’s one of the beautiful things. You go on a journey of research, and I’ve read about the era and, you know, thought about the character, but also used some contemporary references, people that I actually know, who I thought of as a modern-day Tybalt. For me, it was a really interesting journey and exploration to come up with this character.”

How did you feel when you first started reading the script? We found it easy to follow.
“Exactly. It doesn’t follow the true verse. My whole point that I’ve been making about this is: I feel what’s great about it is it’s very accessible to people who — as the days go on and the years pass by, we become less and less familiar with old English. Julian’s adaptation, what it provides, is a way and a means of a contemporary audience to potentially grasp a little more of the poetry of the language, and the story in general. And, it’s a wonderful thing, you know.”

Any funny stories from filming? Any on-set pranks or funny nights you remember?
Yeah, actually. I ambushed Douglas Booth late night, after dinner, and we launched into our fight sequence. We just rehearsed it that day and we were both incredibly excited by what we learned. We worked with these fantastic masters in Italy and they taught us some wonderful stuff. We went at it at about 2 a.m., and, I swear, in Verona, there were quite a few pissed off Italian residents screaming out of their windows for us to ‘shut the hell up.’ Nonetheless, it was a good time, and I felt like it was a great bonding thing between Douglas and I.”

And, it gave you extra practice for the film?
“Extra practice, indeed.”

On Gossip Girl, you had a very believable American accent. Did you struggle at all with the Shakespeare, or were you just relieved to be back in your native accent?
“I mean, I wouldn’t say struggled with it in any way, you know. It was a challenge getting to know the language and getting to know the timing. But, one of the things that was very beneficial to me as an actor was, through Julian’s adaptation, I was able to understand more of the language and the message we were trying to communicate through the dialogue. And, I thought instead of finding it difficult, it was an interesting challenge and it was a wonderful experience."

What are you working on next? Do you want to try more film or TV or a mix?
“At the moment, you know I did six years on Gossip Girl and it was an amazing experience. It was my first time working on an American TV show. And, right now, I’m enjoying the idea of exploring film and going from character to character. But, I’d also like to say that American television is really, really coming into its own. I think it’s amazing – the ambition that American television has is really attractive to any actor, because the quality of the content is superb right now."

Do you have a favorite TV show?
“One of the funny things is that when I first met Damien Lewis, when we were doing Romeo and Juliet, I adopted the fan mode and told Damien that I’m a huge fan — then I kind of felt like a bit of an idiot. But, no, I’m a huge fan of Homeland – unfortunately I haven’t seen the season premiere, so don’t spoil it for me. But Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, and Eastbound and Down, which is very different for an English man, but I love that as well.”

Are you NYC-based or do you live in L.A.?
“I decided to leave New York after Gossip Girl, and I had such a specific experience of it for the time we were there. I have a place there and I look forward to going back at some point. I have wonderful friends there, and New York is an amazing place and did so much for me, and it was an incredible experience, but what I’d like to do, is, at some point, is go back and experience it in a different way.”

How do you think L.A. ranks compared to NYC? What’s the one thing you always do in L.A.?
“One thing I always do in L.A.? Probably get more suntans than New York, you know. But, L.A. is great, as well. I mean, I’m still getting to know it. You know I came here in January, and I was only here for a few months. I spent the summer in the UK, but recently came back, and am enjoying being part of the buzz here. I don’t think it’s going to be me forever. London still has my heart, it’s where my family is. One day I will make the pilgrimage home."

refinery29

Si5
view post Posted on 14/10/2013, 20:06

Adddoro questa intervista! lol
Nomina l'Italia più volte e già al pensiero che è uscita quella parola dalla sua bocca, con la sua voce ed il suo accento, mi rende felice <3

Quindi ha intenzione, un domani, di tornare a NY... Uhm... speriamo, ma ci credo poco!

12 replies since 4/10/2013, 16:02   256 views